View Single Post
Old July 26 2013, 10:41 PM   #66
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

Re: Radio Times Claims a Classic Doctor Might Be in 50th Anniversary

The Stig wrote: View Post
ToddKent wrote: View Post
The anniversary celebrates Doctor Who, not the episode that happened to air that day...
So you're suggesting that the 50th Anniversary Special is not celebrating 50 years of the show's history? But rather, the last 8 years of the show's history? That's ridiculous.

So I assume that in a few years when Trek celebrates its 50th Anniversary that only the cast from the last movie should be involved in any celebration?
I expect so, yes. It's highly unlikely, to my mind, that anything other than the third JJ Abrams' film will be released on the 50th.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
The anniversary celebrates Doctor Who, not the episode that happened to air that day, any more than a Trek anniversary is overtly concerned about honoring 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' or, alternately, 'The Cage.' No one is going to be particularly interested in the idea of Number One or Doctor Piper appearing in an anniversary event.

In any case, we're going in circles. I'm not of the opinion that the original Doctor Who series is:
1) Any good.
2) Worth remembering, beyond little easter eggs that don't require me to actually watch any of the old episodes.
3) Beloved by any number of fans large enough to care about.

Since you and DJ think otherwise, we're unlikely to come to any kind of consensus.
Out of curiosity, how much of it have you actually watched?
In my younger years I watched quite a bit of Pertwee and Tom Baker on PBS. Returning to it as an adult was one of those rose-colored-glasses moments. When the revival was announced, I went back and tried some Tom Baker again, but it never held my interest.
Speaking as a new fan who's just finished the seven years of NuWho, I've gone back to OldWho with renewed interest - I'd seen Genesis of the Daleks just a while before I started series 4, because a friend told me that it was most important for that series finale, and he had a point.

When all things are said and done, I like the concept enough to keep on watching Doctor Who that I haven't seen. So far, I've seen a lot of Baker, a lot of Troughton, and a good deal of everyone else. But really, they're any different that the Davies/Moffat Who, because they're all Doctor Who. They were made for their time, and its really best to view them in context of their time.

(plus, some serials have new CGI sequences, allowing you to watch them that way, too - Ark in Space comes to mind in that regard)

But yeah, to say that OldWho was rubbish and NuWho is by comparison brilliant, is just silly. It reminds that guy that actually put the show on hiatus because it was "cheap and rubbish". Don't rmemeber his name, but many others around here surely do.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote