View Single Post
Old July 26 2013, 06:46 PM   #98
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: why is star trek original series disliked

Kinokima wrote: View Post
BennieGamali wrote: View Post
I love TOS because of the characters. I know why some people hate Bones, but he's awesome IMO. I don't really see himas the "heart" of the group. And being emotional isn't always positive. One reason I love Bones is that he is a bit of a grumpy ass, but he's a good guy in the end. Besides. I always found him and Spock fighting funny. The trio would be lame without Dr.Grumpy and Mr. Logical fighting.

I think more people like Bones than dislike him. In character polls he tends be in the top 10 of all Trek characters (even top 5). Perhaps not on the same level of Spock love, but Bones is definitely a well liked character. Not hurt by the fact that De Kelley is considered one of the nicest actors of the original cast.

But there are definitely a group of people who just do not understand his character at all or are obsessed with Spock to the point that they see Spock as a perfect saint and Bones is just getting on his case because he is an evil racist.

Funny thing is these same people don't understand Spock either. I have read quotes from Nimoy, Kelley, and even Roddenberry claiming Spock and Bones were friends despite their differences.

In fact Nimoy compared Spock/Bones to Burns and Allen (you know an old married couple) & Abbott and Costello. He said he saw Spock/Bones banter as very similar to the "Who's On First" comedy routine.

Okay rant over
Warped9 wrote: View Post
^^ Very true. In real life two friends can get away with saying some of the nastiest stuff to each other that they'd never think of saying to a stranger, or tolerate edgy banter that they'd never accept from anyone else.

Another example: check out the banter between Clint Eastwood and the barber in Gran Torino.
The three of them are such close friends, they spend all their free time together, as pointed out by McCoy in TFF.

And then there's this:
Kirk: Come on. Spock... Why didn't you jump in?
Spock: I was trying to comprehend the meaning of the words.
McCoy: It's a song, you green-blooded... Vulcan. You sing it. The words aren't important. What's important is that you have a good time singing it.
Spock: Oh, I am sorry Doctor. Were we having a good time?
McCoy: God I liked him better before he died.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote