View Single Post
Old July 26 2013, 04:35 PM   #389
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

123. The Sessions (✩✩✩✩) - Netflix - A man who can't move due to having had polio as a child decides to lose his virginity by hiring a surrogate. Stars John Hawkes, Helen Hunt, Moon Bloodgood and William H. Macy. The sex is very raw but clinical, so don't expect anything titilating. All the big names did well in their roles, but the real breakout was Hawkes who played the disabled, yet upbeat lead.

124. Spring Breakers (✩✩✩✩) - Download - Four girls rob a diner to get some money to go on spring break. Excitement and debauchery ensue and things get even more intense when they meet a drug dealing rapper played to perfection by James Franco. Former Disney stars Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgrns also star. There's also Rachel Korine as one of the girls. She's the wife of Harmony Korine, writer and director of the movie and best known for the 1995 movie Kids. This movie is very much like that… Dark, seedy, almost documentary style with a story that spirals into something depressing but engaging. If you liked Kids and want to see some name actors out of their element, check this out. Other things I liked about the movie are the soundtrack from Skrillex and the promotional material that sensationalizes the cast.

125. Hesher (✩✩✩✩½) - Download - Hesher drives a van, shows up in the house to do his laundry, climbs electrical poles in his underwear to tap into the cable box, plops himself down on the couch to watch TV and eats dinner with the family. He's Billy Bob Thornton from Bad Santa. Find out what happens when he enters the life of a kid who's being beaten up at school while dealing with the loss of his mother and distant father. Hesher lives completely in the moment and Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays thr part well. Natalie Portman is also there and I didn't recognize her at first. Then there's the dad. I couldn't tell if he was played by Zack Galifianakis or Rainn Wilson with a beard. Check this out if you like down and out characters who live on their own terms.

126. Tiny Furniture (✩✩✩) - Netflix - Lena Dunham's independent film version of Girls before Girls came out. Has a few of the same cast members too. It was slow and ponderous in parts but got interesting here and there. It's worth a look if you're a Girls fan. If you're not, skip it.

127. The Wolverine (✩✩✩) - Theatre - More action/drama than superhero movie, which I like, but I didn't think this was a great movie. Not bad, just not great. My review is here.

Theatre: 20
Blu-ray: 9
DVD: 21
Netflix: 2
Live TV: 17
Download: 54
YouTube: 3
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote