View Single Post
Old July 26 2013, 03:42 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Best way to watch all of Star Trek?

benmrii wrote: View Post
As a brief introduction, I recently realized I'd enjoyed all the Star Trek I'd ever seen but was very aware that it was a tiny portion of the whole and did not include a single episode of the original series. I decided to watch all of it, every episode and movie, in an ideal order. Following suggestions from a blog post I skipped The Cage, started with Where No Man Has Gone Before, and have since watched them in (Netflix's) order through Obsession.

Watching them has been great and as I had questions and a desire to know more I kept finding myself reading threads here. With a respect for this community I now want to throw the question to you: what recommendations would you make to someone committed to watching all of Star Trek, the vast majority of it for the first time?

Apologies if this has already been discussed but I was unable to find an existing thread on the subject. I look forward to your input!
Always watch them in order, though skipping the Cage is appropriate. But as for a whole series watchlist... chronological order is mostly the best.

The Original Series(all 3 seasons)
The Animated Series(strictly optional, some people like it, some don't, for the most part I didn't)
Star Trek: Movies 1-6
Star Trek: The Next Generation(Seasons 1-6)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(Season 1)
Star Trek: The Next Generation(season 7)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(season 2)
Star Trek: Generations(the movie)
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(seasons 3-5)
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(seasons 6)
Star Trek: Insurrection
Star Trek: Deep Space 9(season 7)
Star Trek: Voyager(seasons 1-7)
Star Trek: Nemesis
Star Trek: Enterprise(seasons 1-4)
Star Trek(2009 movie)
Star Trek: Into Darkness

That roughly will keep everything in order. TNG, it's movies and DS9 crossed over a number of times and referenced each other numerous times. Voyager, while taking place at the same time as the later parts of DS9, is quite literally in a completely seperate setting as they're not interacting, so for simplicity's sake I'd just suggest watching it on it's own run. While Enterprise takes place before TOS, it contains numerous references and easter eggs to what comes after it in the timeline that to get the full experience you really should watch it after.

Hope that helps some. As I said, if you want to watch all of TNG in 1 run, and all of DS9 in another, you won't detract from the experience that much, just be prepared for some common settings, events and what not. Really whatever order you go in, you can't go too wrong. And of course, welcome to the board!