View Single Post
Old July 26 2013, 04:15 AM   #14
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Is broadcast television dead? Google announces Chromecast

EnderAKH wrote: View Post
[LIST]
I'll tell you why Chromecast is different:
  • Low cost of entry. Your bluray player costs $80. Apple TV costs $99. Roku starts at $49, which doesn't even have 1080p. That sets you back $79. Chromecast? $35. About the cost of two Blu-ray disks. They've already sold out of this thing everywhere.
  • More content options. Out of the box on Android and iOS it supports Netflix, YouTube, google play tv and movies, google music, and shortly Pandora. More content will come because it is reportedly a couple of lines of code in your app to add the Cast button, and that's it. In the meantime, it can send anything you can play in a chrome browser tab to your tv. So far people have done Hulu, HBO Go, and other popular streaming options. Anything you can play in your windows or Mac chrome browser window, you can watch on your TV. Easily.
  • Portability. It's a 2" dongle. Take it to your hotel room with you. Or your parents house. Or your friend's house for movie night. It goes in a purse.
My wife, the Minister of Finance, has already authorized me to get 2. This is exactly what we've been looking for. It's cheap, it's easy to use, it's multi-platform (she's on iOS, I'm on Android), and "No more freakin' wires cluttering up my living room."
An HMDI cable from your PC to your TV would be cheaper. Still not seein' the big "wow" factor here. Hell, my phone has HMDI out and access to all of the content mentioned already.

Oh, and in other news, seems Netflix on the Chromecast no longer comes with 2 free months.

RAMA wrote: View Post

Its portable. cheap, works with hdmi offers popular programming, plays anything on Chrome...and of course you find nothing significant about it.

RAMA
Your ignorance at technology is showing through again. My 2 year old Android phone can do all of that and more.

If you read the details of this thing all it really is is a wifi connection that forwards an HDMI signal to your TV. They've just abstracted a software layer that Google can control to channel you through their portal. It lets them set a standard that other companies have to abide by if they want their content accessible from Google's device. They package it to make it easy for the consumer, but it's really just an example of Apple style content control.

Last edited by sojourner; July 26 2013 at 04:28 AM.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote