View Single Post
Old June 13 2006, 07:56 AM   #135
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

I've gotten some significant work done on the secondary hull and the "head" that you only get to see when the saucer is separated. There are a lot of details here that are pertinent to the saucer separation scheme, so it's important to get them right.

Pay no attention to the battle bridge module. It's just a copy of the one on top of the saucer and will eventually be replaced by a different version. The segmentation you see around the rim of the "head" will also go away eventually.

Almost everything in these renderings is a single Sub-D object, all but the bridge and the docking bay doors, and it has really been straining my quad-poly modeling skills to their limits. I may yet go back and do a few things a little differently just to simplify the mesh and make the final version more efficient. Trying to build too much detail into a Sub-D object for something like this is just counter-productive; better to freeze it at a certain point and add the other stuff later.

Tomorrow I'm gonna do some more work on my Vanguard model, but I'll be back for another round of updates on the Grandeur in a couple of days.