View Single Post
Old June 13 2006, 07:20 AM   #134
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Cary L. Brown said:
I'm particularly pleased that you've made "working" hangar bay doors. This is one of the things that's always bugged me, perhaps more than anything else, with post-Probert Trek design... Excelsior and Ent-E in particular... with door systems that are structurally IMPOSSIBLE (though they look good to a graphics-arts type I suppose).
I've done my best to think through the functionality of this ship's design as well as its aesthetics. Thanks for noticing.

I'm also very pleased to see a workable impulse-engine arrangement. This, as some of you know, is my main "quibble" with the selected Titan design... the impulse engine centerline-of-thrust is so far away from the center of mass of the ship that the thing would literally just spin in place (if this is using the conventionally-accepted newtonian principals and not some "new" reactionless sublight system I s'pose).
The impulse engines have actually been some of the most problematic details on this ship, together with the saucer separation scheme. The current versions are not perfect, but I think they are probably the best I'm going to get with this design.

As for the physics involved, we know that impulse engines can be used to drive a ship in reverse, so clearly they are something more than simple reaction engines.

Anyway, I preferred the earlier (second?) design you did, on a purely stylistic basis (and I hope you'll pick that back up one of these days, albeit under a different name!)
Not likely, I'm afraid. When this ship is done, my next project will probably be completing the Titan design I started but didn't finish in time for the contest.