View Single Post
Old July 25 2013, 03:57 PM   #2918
Lieutenant Commander
Re: STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Belz... wrote: View Post
Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
This summer's sequels have almost all been hits to one degree or another, while the efforts to launch new big budget franchises have mostly failed, some spectacularly so.
And that's a damn shame. I like new stuff.
The current Hollywood Model has been to produce fewer movies but more "tent-pole" productions to lift a studio's bottom line (like a tent pole). I think this year we are seeing an oversaturation with that models where 3-6 of those big productions are likely to lose big money.

These days sequels, prequels, remakes, existing properties, etc, are seen as safe or safer bets than unknown entities. A year where a lot of these major tent-poles fail could force a change in Hollywood's approach to movies. But they will only evolve if forced to at gunpoint (aka, colossal losses of cash).

I expect there to be some superhero crashes coming as there is just too much out there planned. And 2015 is so loaded with huge budget productions its setting up to be a turning point year. The domestic market just cannot infinitely expand to support all these productions. Some will lose money and some will flop big time.

Only then will we get to see more "new stuff".
KGator is offline   Reply With Quote