View Single Post
Old July 25 2013, 03:53 PM   #16
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Military History Books

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Good recommendation. I would add the follow-up volume, Castles of Steel by the same author.
I wasn't as impressed by Castles of Steel, it didn't break any new ground, ignored some good scholarship from the previous decade or so and seemed like something of a re-hash of older histories. It also had some editing problems. But, if one needs a single volume on the major parts of naval WW1, it should do fine.

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
I'm afraid I'm more of an ETO person, but I do know the books that the HBO series The Pacific were based on are supposed to be excellent.
I almost mentioned With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge above but thought I better limit myself before I went on and on. It is a fantastic memoir, and really captures the bleak, grim and deadly personal struggles between the marines and Japanese defenders on these tiny islands. Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie is also great.

Forbin wrote: View Post
One Damned Island After Another (damn, that's expensive!) tells the story of the 7th Air Force's campaign across the Pacific. The USAAF hardly ever gets mentioned in the tales of the island-hopping campaign, this book covers that aspect, plus has a couple of photos of my father's P-47 in it!
Unit histories like that are fascinating, I'd love to have a look at that one.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote