View Single Post
Old July 24 2013, 08:48 PM   #73
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: And now The Newsroom....

Well, I really like this show. I like WW better, but this one will do.

As a former Republican, now an independent/libertarian, I wouldn't actually consider Will a Republican. I wouldn't even consider him an old-school "Reagan Republican". There's no one thing that I can put my finger on, just the way his dialog has been written in the past season-and-some-change. IMO, he's being written more as a liberal claiming to be a Repulican, who's too embarrassed to really be called a Democrat because the other Democrats he's surrounded himself with are WAY too left for his taste. Maybe it's that most New York Republicans I've ever met would be considered Democrats everywhere else in the country (with the possible exceptions of Massachusetts and various locales on the "left coast"), or maybe it's that he's a Republican trying to work with and compromise with everyone else in the newsroom who appear to be very left-leaning in general and his own personal message sometimes gets a bit muddled. Don't really know, but there does sometimes feel like mixed messages there. That's the best way I can describe it, anyway.

I still enjoy the writing, and it's quite good overall. I just wish the Jim/Maggie thing would kind of go away, but that's just me.