View Single Post
Old July 24 2013, 12:11 PM   #72
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Original or remastered effects?

trevanian wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Here's a useful montage I found comprising multiple quick fire comparative stills. Despite some admittedly weak shots throughout the project, selecting the new FX as my default is a no brainer for me...

Kinda fits with the bits I've glanced at ... the planet surface environments are mostly improved but the ships look godawful. It's almost like saying TAS looks better than TOS just because there aren't any matte lines ... you lose too much visual credibility with respect to the physical presence of the ship with these particular CG attempts, especially in terms of lighting.
Yes, the lighting is waaay too bright in many shots, but to be fair, there are some lovely Enterprise beauty passes rendered perfectly as well. For me, the original FX look extremely ropey on quality HD monitors, and on balance, the new material definitely improves the experience of TOS overall.

I can certainly understand why many would disagree though. But, the beauty of the BD's is the ability to choose for yourself - a really smart move from CBS.