View Single Post
Old July 23 2013, 11:03 PM   #730
Killerprise
Lieutenant Junior Grade

BillJ wrote: View Post
Killerprise wrote: View Post
That was funny considering both the transporter room and sickbay are on lower decks.
I'm not so sure about the transporter room. In Star Trek 2009, could Chekov made it there while Kirk and Sulu fell if he had to stop and take a turbolift?

For me, the Enterprise is a vehicle of the imagination. It takes my heroes where they need to go. So it being 500 feet, a 1000 feet or 2000 feet really doesn't matter to me.

I'm very sure about it, if the sickbay and transporter room were on the same level as the bridge they too would be sticking out of the hull. We're talking about a Constitution class starship here, the bridge sits higher than everything else yet with a trick of the camera they made it seem like the Bridge Transporter Room and Sickbay are all on the same level which is physically impossible. This isn't the original Enterprise though, this is a mess of ship where locations don't add up or anything.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
It reads like one of James Dixon's, but with Okuda as God instead of Franz Jopseph. There is so much wrong with this it's not funny. And Bernd is an engineer? Why doesn't he understand basic perspective?
That second picture was provided by me, actually, back in the day when I wasn't sure the scaling was consistent. I have, obviously, seen the light since then.

Bernd is an nice guy, but he has preconcieved notions about what Trek should be, and he spends way too much time on minutiae, in my opinion.
I saw your name there! Sorry if I was a little harsh.

According to the classic movie Enterprise blueprints, yes. But on The Original Series it was a glass dome:
[ IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac330/KingDaniel01/cage_dome.jpg[/ IMG]
Ditto on The Next Generation's Enteprise-D, which had a small glass dome directly above the captain's chair.

No it's not. How can you possibly say it is ? Look at the picture again, and consider the perspective.
Here is a pic showing what and where that blue thing really is on the bridge set. The 360 panorama taken directly below it completely distorts it's size and shape, it's not the ceiling of the set at all, and it's obviously not under the dome.
[ IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac330/KingDaniel01/bridge_bluething.jpg[/ IMG]
Belz wrote:
Star Trek never really produced blueprints of their ships in an official manner, nor were they in the habit of mentioning the size of their ships on-screen; and yet fans always accepted the 289/305 length of the ship/refit as gospel, despite the fact that it didn't come from official sources. Now you have official sources and refuse to accept the length. This isn't about official sources. This is about you not wanting the Enterprise to be that much different from the original.
And willful ignorance, which is a pet peeve of mine (which I think this thread has shown beyond a shadow of a doubt!)

Anyone who thinks all the stuff from THIS BIG PIC would fit into a hull that is 30m across at it's widest point is a few fries short of a Happy Meal. There is absolutely overwhelming evidence that the Enterprise in the new movies is significantly bigger than it's prior incarnations.

This Enterprise's appearance is based on the refit therefore the glowing dome is a sensor. If you want to ignore the fact that the bridge itself takes up a significant chunk of the model behind that big window then that's your choice.

It's a 50-foot dome looking directly out into space. And there's an identical one 16+decks below. What you're describing makes no sense whatsoever. Fail!
Can you read? I specifically said those windows are directly tied to that lobby shaft and as for the "old movie" Enterprise having sickbay and engineering right around the corner. That's total bullshit engineering is down in the secondary hull right where the warpcore meets the transfer conduit. The fact that you just said that has now put some doubt into whether you've actually seen any of the TOS movies. The 1st pilot Enterprise is exactly the same size as the production version, the only difference is they changed the bridge module and opaque bussard collectors to light up bussard collectors. Btw the upscaling was meant for the shuttlebay scene only, then the ship magically shrinks back to 366 meters. Btw I just screen grabbed this as reference, that's not the dish of a 725m ship. Granted it is about 50-100 feet away from him but still if the ship were that huge this dish would be at least three times the size.

[ IMG]http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a510/SubaruBRZ/NativevsDeflectordish_zps453aca89.jpg[/ IMG]

It reads like one of James Dixon's, but with Okuda as God instead of Franz Jopseph. There is so much wrong with this it's not funny. And Bernd is an engineer? Why doesn't he understand basic perspective?
That second picture was provided by me, actually, back in the day when I wasn't sure the scaling was consistent. I have, obviously, seen the light since then.

Bernd is an nice guy, but he has preconcieved notions about what Trek should be, and he spends way too much time on minutiae, in my opinion.

Bernd is a stickler for accuracy, he's German after all.

Last edited by M'Sharak; July 24 2013 at 12:43 AM.
Killerprise is offline   Reply With Quote