View Single Post
Old July 23 2013, 06:55 PM   #190
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: The ENT and Melakon

2:07 - The Seventh

TV Blurb: T'Pol tracks down a rogue Vulcan operative who disappeared nearly 20 years earlier. Written by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. Directed by David Livingston.

*YAWN*

I'm not sure why, but this episode did nothing for me at all. I've watched it at least 5 times in the last few days and it's just boring, boring, boring for me.

It's more of a character study of T'Pol and her relationship with Archer more than anything else, which is a good thing I suppose, but the whole episode seems dull and uninspired.

I was pleased to see Bruce Davison in the episode, as I've been a fan of his work since early in his career over 40 years ago. But he's much better an actor than the character he's been given here, which seems beneath his abilities.

The script is too much of T'Pol doubting herself, too much bad guy escaping and getting recaptured (more than once), burning buildings, and other events that seem written mostly to fill time rather than advance the story. There are way too many closeups of faces for my taste.

I get the feeling they knew it was a crappy script, and just tried to do what they could with it.

The only really interesting part for me was when Trip has to be "acting captain", including posing as Archer. At first he seems to enjoy some of the perks, like holding court in the captain's dining room, but soon gets worn down by all the demands and requests made of him as a temporary captain.

I knew reviewing the episode was going to be difficult, as Memory Alpha gives little background information, and Bernd Schneider's Ex Astris Scientia site goes into a rant ripping it to shreds.

Next: "The Communicator"