View Single Post
Old July 23 2013, 02:24 PM   #249
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
So the thorn in Sam's side for a few seasons in McKay is a team member of Atlantis? Didn't see that coming. Is he kinda sorta like ST:TNG's O'Brien, getting a transfer but the dual purpose is he is qualified and the audience knows him as well?
Bringing McKay onto Atlantis was unintentional. At first, a new character was developed and auditions held. Eventually someone realized the character was similar to McKay so they changed the new character to him.

Of what I saw the Atlantis team looks interesting. Once I've taken a break from SG-1 for the rest of the year and viewing some other material I'll have to look into an Atlantis viewing. Is Atlantis the DS9 of Stargate? Meaning deep interconnected cast of characters on the city island? Isolated from home in a manner.
The cast isn't really that much more interconnected than SG-1's. There might be a few more recurring characters than SG-1 had, but don't hold me to that. Atlantis is isolated in its first season, but by season 2 they are in regular contact with Earth, and indeed SG-1 characters have made several appearances on the show.