View Single Post
Old July 23 2013, 11:49 AM   #25
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS: Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Do you have a computer with a drive for 5 1/4-inch floppy disks? The game came in that format and had copy protection that wouldn't allow it to be run from anything but the primary floppy drive. I imagine people have probably hacked and copied the game by now, but there was also a printed booklet that you needed. Well, there's probably a PDF of that by now too.
Yeah, as you point out, there are usually communities working to retain access to vintage games by way of writing emulators and cracking ancient protection mechanisms. Honestly I think this is morally justified; the circumvention itself is not piracy so much as preservation of cultural history at some point, and when it comes to having access to the assets, one can always try to e.g. find a copy on eBay or similar to legitimize it.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Text-only games would probably seem very tedious today.
I actually still play text-based games fairly regularly, e.g. on my phone. In fact, it's a genre that's still improving, partly because of progress in natural language processing.

Actually, if you want to read a really interesting article on the state of the art - literature fans might enjoy this peek into the world of interactive text-based fiction: http://lwn.net/Articles/429462/
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote