View Single Post
Old July 23 2013, 02:52 AM   #34
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Original or remastered effects?

Melakon wrote: View Post
But to enjoy the supposed benefits of Blu-Ray/HD, I'd also need to buy a new television set. Considering I'm less than a foot away from the screen right now in order to read it, I don't think I'd be able to detect any improvements in picture quality. DVD is fine for me since my vision has been quickly deteriorating for the last few years.

BillJ, thanks, I'll probably investigate that remastered sampler.

Grant, don't worry, all's good. I did get a little snappish, and I apologize for it. I sometimes compare my situation to early retirement (I had to stop working when I was about 51). I can stay up as late as I want, get up as late as I want (unless the cat thinks otherwise), and I don't have to worry about the rat race anymore.
Well, you certainly don't have anything to apologize for--I came to the thread late and was looking at is as "who would need to make this choice at this point.." and the answer is obvious---lots of people!!

If someone came in my apt and said, "Dam that toaster oven is lame-- you can get a nice one for $60!" I'd say "I can't afford $60 and my old one is fine." LOL.

But to continue to play devil's advocate (or Blu-ray advocate) there are a lot of other reasons to get Blu-ray other than just the picture, sound, features and or course in the case of TOS---both versions of all the episodes. Also I never been able to damage one by clumsiness.

So it's something to keep in mind for the future.

After I bought my TOS BLU-RAYS and watched every episode in the remastered version--I turned around and watched them again with the 'angle' button display on. I found literally dozens of other changes than just the 'space FX' by toggling back and forth between versions. They weren't perfect, but dam, they did a ton of work in a short period of time and plenty of it was darn good.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote