View Single Post
Old July 22 2013, 06:11 PM   #23
JES
Captain

Re: Phase II Enterprise Study Model

Shaw wrote: View Post
JES wrote: View Post
But this sort of detail isn't surprising when you consider that Jefferies had the bottom of the saucer go from flat, to curving upwards, and then curving into a bowl shape that bulges from the bottom of the saucer section.
The surprising aspect of all this was that Jefferies was doing all this in his spare time while working as art director for Little House on the Prairie. Many of the plans of the Phase II Enterprise were drawn in his hotel room in the evenings while working on location. And the attention to detail isn't just surprising when looking at this work in the context of the Phase II production (and his lack of a solid connection to it), what makes the work he did so interesting (to me) is that it acts as a Rosetta Stone to how he viewed the Enterprise during TOS.
Maybe it might seem difficult under those circumstances, and indeed, perhaps it was indeed difficult, but think about it: Jefferies was an artist. And if he was anything like me, he loved art, and enjoyed sketching. And if he was really like me, he also enjoyed sketching flying vehicles. So all of those sketches, and all of the associated detail, probably came out pretty easily, even if it did consume a lot of Jefferies's spare time, at the time in question.

It is not surprising to me that he sketched in his spare time. In fact, if not for the fact I had the Internet, I'd probably be sketching right now, rather than looking at other peoples's sci-fi artwork, playing video games, or watching online videos, which are really the only other things I love more than sketching.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote