View Single Post
Old May 29 2006, 07:15 AM   #105

Star Trek: Foundations

Star Trek Foundations is a little different than most of the games posted here. While we're an RPG in all senses of the word, and we do take our roleplaying seriously, we try to back that RP up with a coded world in simulated space. For those of you familiar with the genre, we're a MUSH, a multi user shared hallucination, much more RP-oriented than a MUD, and fully immersed in the Star Trek world.

http://www.foundationsmush.com/ - Website
telnet://bdv.gotdns.org:1701 - Connect via Telnet

Set in the year 2164, we have been active for more than 4 years, open to the world for more than 3 years. When you get into space here, you really fly through space in real ship classes which require actual skill to learn how to use. You can learn how to fly in 10 minutes but being able to stand up against a Klingon D-5 in your NX class vessel can take quite a while to master.

We have diverged from the Star Trek Enterprise timeline as the show started, choosing not to deal with some of the more controversial canon elements such as the temporal cold war and evil-acting Vulcans. We try to stick as closely to both reality and canon as possible. As you fly through space you will see real stars, around which might orbit planets such as Andoria, Tellar Prime, Vulcan, Romulus and Qo'noS.

At the moment, four factions are open, with a fifth, independent worlds, open by application. Terrans, Vulcans, Andorians and Klingons are the current groupings, while Independent Worlds are those non-aligned worlds such as Axanar, Rigel V and others popular among those who like to make money without worrying about military and political conflicts popular among the major races. The Federation has never formed here, but that's not to say it never will. We leave it up to the players to determine what is happening in our world, if the leaders of the traditional worlds choose to found the Federation, they can roleplay it out over time and we will allow it. But thus far, groups as disparate as the Andorians and Vulcans have been unable to overcome their suspicion, while the Terrans still struggle to overcome being the new kids on the block, with worse technology but the can-do spirit that sometimes the other races lack.

With our dynamic space system (Aspace), dozens of well-built planets, ships and bases, a functioning economy with a new one in the works, the ability to colonize planets and research new technologies, and to set the course for not just yourself and your vessel, but your entire faction, we're looking for new people to come and try out our game.

I'm one of the wizards (administrators) on the game, my name there is Dal. I got into Trek roleplaying via a sim group and I see that many of these sim groups continue to flourish even today. Sims are great and a good one sets the tone for some really great RP. But we have a few advantages over a sim... number one is that we're on all of the time. If you are bored at 2 am like I just was, you can log into the world of Trek and explore, trade, research and fight off alien menaces.

Come check us out! We're completely free and the worst that can happen is you don't like it and wasted five minutes of your time. Mention when you log on that you saw Dal's ad, because I'd like to know personally if anyone from here has any desire to check it out.

Thanks a lot just for getting through all this.

P.S. if you're new to MUSHing, and you don't like the telnet client, there are numerous clients available for connecting to the game which work much better. My personal choice is GMud - http://darkages.darkfantastic.net/pages/gmud.html - which is small and easy to configure.