View Single Post
Old July 21 2013, 05:05 PM   #64
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

I think the view of rock you have is just too narrow. By the way, I love all of those 90s bands you mentioned, that was basically my teenage years. I'm still obsessed with the Foo Fighters.

I think that what happened was that bubblegum pop (Britney Spears, boy bands) became popular for a while, and then we moved into hip hop and rap. I would say that within the past two years or so we are trending towards rock again. I was just thinking this the other day as I was listening to some popular radio stations on a long drive and noticed that, since the last time I spent a lot of time listening to the radio, there was a lot less hip hop and a lot more "rock." I use the term rock fluidly. I think the new rock is the more indie and "leaning towards alternative" stuff, like Mumford and Sons, Imagine Dragons, Young the Giant, Neon Trees, fun., Grouplove, AWOLNATION, One Republic, etc. I hear these bands more and more on mainstream radio and see them on the charts. If you take a more narrow view of rock, then you may not count bands like these, but I do. I think they just tend to be more the "alternative" or "folk" type of rock, but that's still rock to me.

So to answer your question, I think rock is becoming mainstream again right now. But like all music, it has evolved into something new.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote