View Single Post
Old July 21 2013, 03:30 PM   #125
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: ‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Oh, please. It's a time-honored comic-book tradition for superheros to clash at first before teaming up against a common foe.

Remember Thor and Iron Man and Captain America knocking each other around in THE AVENGERS, and the Hulk taking on Thor and Black Widow later on? And Hawkeye fighting everyone for most of the movie?
But the title of the movie presented them as a team. This and the Miller quote about boots on necks doesn't give the right vibe.

Heck, why give a merged-symbol logo if they're supposed to be fighting? Shouldn't they be head-to-head or something?
"Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman" wasn't titled "Frankenstein Vs. Wolfman," but they still ended up fighting in the end, because that's what audiences want to see.

Remember that scene in "Stand By Me" where the kids are arguing about who would win in a fight, Superman or Mighty Mouse? Fans have been wanting to see their favorite superheroes test themselves against each other for probably as long as there have been comic books.

And it may be cliched in the comics by this point, but we haven't really seen it on the big screen much . . . .

Plus, of course, it's just more dramatic that way. Does anyone really want to see a movie where Superman and Batman work together without any conflict from Day One?

"Nice to meet you, Batman. I've heard nothing but good things about you."

"Likewise, Superman. I'm looking forward to our team-up. Let's shake hands and go save the world!"

That's great if you're doing a Hanna-Barbara cartoon aimed at eight-year-olds, but . . . .