Old July 21 2013, 06:02 AM   #390
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile
Re: Scotty and his military comment

Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
Belz... wrote: View Post
Crazy Eddie wrote: View Post
And yet, about the only thing that has ever been consistent in every Star Trek series is that every starship, no matter what its current assignment, will default to exploration as soon as all their government-mandated chores are done.
You might be right, but then when exploring, it's expected that you'll meet other ships that are also exploring
That still doesn't explain how a ship like Voyager would immediately default to a mission of exploration the moment their ASSIGNED mission is completed. If nothing else, it establishes that in the absence of specific orders from Starfleet, every starship IN the fleet has a standing imperative to explore space and collect detailed data on anything and everything they encounter and to continue to do so even when that information serves no conceivable military or strategic benefit to the Federation or to the ship itself.
I haven't watched the first episodes of VOY for a while but my understanding was that Voyager was a science ship. Amazingly armed with a tremendous amount of weapons and shuttles but non-the-less her primary mission was of research.
But then the first time we saw her she was on her way to intercept a Marquis ship. Hardly a scientific mission.

And the Marquis were against the Federation because they were on lots of exploration missions?

Admittedly during her trek across the Delta quadrant it seemed that Janeway was also interested in scientific study as well as diplomatic and ways to speed up her ship. She was a scientific ship after all. I'm sure information she gathered about the Delta Quadrant was of interest to Starfleet headquarters. The location of different species, their Warp scale, their danger level to the Federation. I don't think Janeway ever went on military reconnaissance deliberately. But I think Starfleet military would be very interested in the Borg and Species 23456 (whatever).
A starmap of the Delta Quadrant and the location of strategic planets would be of interest to the military.
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote