View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando
Re: shared universe, crossovers and easter eggs

Christopher wrote: View Post
The problem with science fiction is that each series tends to paint the history, technology, geography, and physics of the universe in a different way, so it's rare to find two SF franchises that can cross over. The only non-Trek works that I consider to be part of the Trek universe are other Roddenberry pilots -- The Questor Tapes (which a few Trek novels have very subtly hinted might be part of the universe) and Genesis II/Planet Earth (which I consider to be the alternate timeline that would've resulted if Gary Seven hadn't intervened in Earth history, as discussed here).
A good approach. But then what happened to Hunt in the regular timeline? Was he reanimated earlier (after all Star Trek's cryogenics works) or did they forgot about him and he is still there.

Pretty much anything that shows Earth making contact with aliens before 2063 is out, so no Alien Nation or V. No The 4400 or Alphas, since there are very few superpowered humans in the Trek universe (basically just the occasional esper) and since time travel (a big deal in The 4400) is initially seen as only a theoretical possibility in Trek's era.
True, although I would skip on The 4400 just from the story alone, after all how many people actually know that it is the case of time travel. By itself Alphas could happen in a timeline with later Eugenic Wars, placed in the 2010s. But as Alphas supposedly share the universe with Eureka and Warehouse 13, it ought to be out by default.

So yeah, we'd probably be dealing with SF-lite shows like The Man from UNCLE. In the course of watching it on DVD, I've wondered if it could be considered part of the Trekverse, but I think it's a little too goofy, and it gets rather campy later on. The Avengers (the '60s spy show, of course) also got rather comical and fanciful at times.
So it is more likely that these people and organisations were active, but some events either did not happen or at least not as depicted...

The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman are interesting candidates, since they show a rather more advanced space program in the '70s than we had in real life, which is consistent with TOS's portrayal of human spaceflight. But then, what happens to that nifty bionics technology? Is it lost in the Eugenics Wars or WWIII? And in that case, can you count the '90s reunion movies?
Given the cost do you wonder? Even in "Bionic-land" in the 90s there was only a handful of Bionic people, so ...

And all those acronyms (OSI, M9, UNCLE...) could very well make up the core from which Section 31 was built.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The only thing we know for sure is that Star Trek takes place in the same universe as "Here Comes The Brides."
Oh, please.