View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 08:35 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Re: How excited are you about the new Ninja Turtles movie?

Gaith wrote: View Post
Bay had clearly decided to cast a white actor in the role. I don't know why, and I've already said I wouldn't have done so, but he did: it's right there in the script. Surely you don't think Fichtner refusing the role would have changed Bay's mind, and made him order a rewrite? We'd probably have gotten Marky Mark instead.
Why are you making this about Fichtner? As you said, it was the filmmakers' decision, and that's the core of the problem. (Although Bay's just the producer. The director is Jonathan Liebesman.)

Although it seems the real core of the problem may be the industry. Maybe it's the studio heads who are behind this seeming increase in whitewashed casting. Maybe they believe movies need to have white actors in them to succeed, and that's pushing the filmmakers to go along. I don't know. But pinning blame on individuals is not the solution here. This is shaping up as a systemic problem and we need to look at the big picture.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Besides, it's not as if it's always racist or unenlightened to have villains played by nonwhite actors.
Dude. I'm not Bay; I never said it was. I took an explicit guess at Bay's thought process, which I've already disavowed upthread. I'm not your enemy.
What?? Why would you interpret that as some kind of personal attack on you? I was simply responding to the assumptions underlying your speculation. It's not about you, whoever you are, stranger that I've never met and have no reason to attack. It's just about the ideas I'm reading on my computer screen here.

Uhh...[INDENT][INDENT]It is a mistake to assume that the point of an adaptation is to copy the original. That would be a waste of time and effort. The point of an adaptation is to adapt -- to take an idea that exists in one form and transform it into something new and different.[INDENT][INDENT]- Christopher, 2011
You're completely missing the point of my comment. You were speaking as though the issue were about whom they should have cast to fit the revised conception of the character; my point is that the question to be asked is a step or two further back in the process, namely, what motivated them to make that particular revision in the first place? Of course adaptors have the right to make revisions in general; revisionism is not in itself a bad thing. But that doesn't mean that each individual revision is immune from criticism, because some specific revisions are bad or are made for inappropriate reasons. The mistake is to equate the specific case for the general case, or vice-versa. The comments you quote were my objections to the tendency of many fans to perceive any and all revisions as wrong. But what I'm talking about here is not revisionism in general, but the appropriateness of one specific revision.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote