View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 07:31 PM   #42
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
In the 2000s, Korn, Saliva, Slipknot, Fuel, and Puddle of Mudd never got a hit close (Puddle of Mudd got closest). They're also all terrible (OK, I like Puddle of Mudd because they're damn catchy, but they're still a terrible band).

Blasphemy
Well, clearly we'll just have to agree to disagree here, but my point stands. Rock music isn't doing any worse than it was 10 years ago, it's just that your subjective opinion valued music then better than the music now.

For my money, the early 2000s was a time of stagnation led by NuMetal bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit (yes, those two bands deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence). Really, the end of the decade was a breath of fresh air and musical revival that swept away the stagnation that was before it. The middle of the decade was an odd situation where the best bands were old bands with a comeback (e.g., Green Day) or pieces of old bands joined into supergroups (Velvet Revolver and Audioslave). Only by the end of the decade can you point to legitimately new good bands (or good bands that flew under the radar in the middle part of the decade finally shining through).