View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 01:27 PM   #188
Christopher
Writer

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

MNM wrote: View Post
Or maybe, just maybe, try not to use so many familiar names in one book

If you're going to use a Kirk dont also use a Paris and a Dax and so on...
As I've explained, the point of these books is to give an overview of the early history of the entire Federation, not just a single crew. They're supposed to be broad and inclusive in their focus and to resonate with events and characters in the later series. It's a feature, not a bug. If you don't like it, don't read them, but the approach I've taken to these books is not thoughtless or accidental. I put a lot of thought into deciding what established characters or ancestors to use and not to use.

You dont have to defend the Reed stuff, I liked it overall.
No, I certainly don't have to "defend" anything to you. But I did need to explain some chronological facts that you seem to have missed. You said he shouldn't have the experience for a captaincy at this point, when the simple arithmetical fact is that he has more than enough years under his belt. No, Malcolm didn't think he had enough experience, but he was wrong. He's always been insecure and modest.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote