View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 01:02 PM   #187
MNM
Captain

Re: ENT: A Choice of Futures by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!

Christopher wrote: View Post
MNM wrote: View Post
Well yeah, in universe, as I said, you can justify it. It was just too much for me personally.
Then maybe books as broad in scope as these aren't the right ones for you. Given how the crew has scattered, I can't very well focus on just a single ship and a single story for the duration of the narrative, because then a lot of the ENT characters would go unseen in each volume.
Or maybe, just maybe, try not to use so many familiar names in one book

If you're going to use a Kirk dont also use a Paris and a Dax and so on...

If I stayed away from Trek books that didnt use small universe syndrom to some effect I wouldnt read many!

Its not just Mayweather, Reed should never have been made captain at this point either (he wasnt ready or experienced for it), but I felt that was done much better and was ok with it at the end.
I think the compactness of the Romulan War books may have created a misleading impression about the time interval between ENT and ROTF. The fourth season of ENT, finale aside, concluded in January 2155. A Choice of Futures begins in September 2162, over seven and a half years later. That's nearly twice as much time as the show itself covered. These characters are considerably older and more experienced than they were on the show. They've changed and grown from who you remember them to be.
You dont have to defend the Reed stuff, I liked it overall. He wasnt ready for a captaincy, admitted that himself, only took the position after Archer played on his pride a bit, struggled a bit then started to improve. All fine stuff.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote