View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 10:47 AM   #38
Australis
Writer

Re: Can Mainstream Rock Music Survive

EmoBorg wrote: View Post
To hear Chris Connell or Brett Scallions rock vocals is something out of this world. Something spiritual.
Never heard of them.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Define "mainstream rock".
This, because of the following...
Like for example, the bands that charted in the 2000s.

Jimmy Eat World, Gob, Saliva, Slipkot, Fuel, Deftones, Vertical Horizon, Incubus, Default, Puddle of Mudd, Cold, Foo Fighters, Nickleback, Creed etc etc.

I know that many rock fans dislike Nickleback and Creed but i included them because they do play Rock music even though many folks dislike them.
I've heard of 6 of those band, maybe heard 2.

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Speaking as a life-long musician, I never understood the appeal of the chugga-chugga death metal cookie monster vocals thing.
This, very this.

jayceee wrote: View Post
Out of this list, I only ever heard of Nickelback, Creed, and Foo Fighters. I have never heard of the other bands listed.

I suppose a definition of "mainstream rock" is very subjective. My definition would probably be out of date. What comes to mind when I hear the term "mainstream rock", are bands like Poison, Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, The Bangles, Aerosmith, Samantha Fox, etc ...

(I more or less stopped following current music trends around the time when bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, etc ... first became popular in the early 1990's and the movie "Singles").
This is pretty much what I think.

FPAlpha wrote: View Post

The fact that you consider Slipknot to be good rock music is telling
I admit i like Slipknot. I don't understand the hate. They wear scary masks and sing metal songs. So what. I like them in the same way that i like Rammstein.
Slipnot aren't my speed at all, or Rammstein, but I do recognise they're pretty good musicians.

Where is Deep Purple, Sabs, The Who and Led Zep in all this? Deep Purple is probably my favourite, I mean, have you listened to Ian Gillan sing? OR jon Losd's roar from his keyboard? Or guitar god Ritchie Blackmore? And this year, even though they've changed a significant number of members, the new album is pretty damn good.

Admittedly I sound like an old fogey, no surprises there, but you should try 'Classic Rock' magazine, because it has the old stuff, but also brand new bands who play in a recognisable rock style, and they usually give away a CD each month with new bands included.

So, for what it's worth, I'd go with classic rock rather than mainstream rock, because that's not just dependant on the year, but where you live in the world.
"Ö Times change, and so must IÖ we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and thatís okay, thatís good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote