View Single Post
Old July 20 2013, 10:19 AM   #52
M
Vice Admiral

Re: A question regarding "Patterns of Force"

Being German living in Germany all my life I never had a serious problem with the line. I know that for some Germans the mere mention of anything Nazi-related in a not so serious tone can be considered too much, and I certainly understand that sensitivity, but personally, I don't feel there should be anything which can't be joked about. Spock's line to Kirk is meant in a light-hearted way, and I never saw it as anything other than that.

As for the original German dub produced in the 70s: I was never a fan of that version of TOS. Growing up that was all I had, and I think for a long time it was the reason why I couldn't take the series very seriously. When I first saw the original versions on VHS I was blown away by the earnestness and I fell in love with it instantly. Today it's my favorite Trek after DS9.

I can't get behind the thought process of those people responsible for the "funny" German dub of TOS. Why try to make it into a show for children? Why the constant mispronounciation of certain names and terminologies (for some reason Kirk always calls Chekov "Pane", for example).

Mario de Monti wrote: View Post
Anyway, when TOS-R came along, they re-included the scenes that were taken out decades earlier, so that for the first time the episodes could be shown uncut on German TV.
Actually, most of those originally cut scenes were reinstated when the show was released on DVD in 2004. This is also the time when a lot of dialog was re-dubbed by different voice actors for those "new" scenes.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote