View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Mario de Monti
Re: A question regarding "Patterns of Force"

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Though I think Spock's comment is about Nazi ideology, not Germans.
Absolutely, I never understood it any other way.

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
Representing the German past is a fraught subject with strong emotions. Nonetheless, German culture many opportunities to discuss the memories of Nazism and the Holocaust, moreso than, for instance, French imperialism, British rule in Ireland, or even Germany's genocidal war against the Herero. Indeed, the US has a national museum for the Holocaust, but not one for slavery and its legacy.
Interesting. So it seems to be not just a national/German wish to keep dealing with this part of history.

Bad thoughts wrote: View Post
On the other hand, isn't it possible that our differences on the subject of this line may have more to do with differing notions of humor among the various cultures?
Theoretically, yes. But like I said before, I donīt usually have a problem with jokes/humor about Germans or Nazis and I can definitely laugh about myself, too. It just seems to be this instance in POF, where I canīt seem to find the humorous notion implied.

"Do you give me attitude, Spock?" - "Iīm expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously, Sir. To which are you referring?"
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote