View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 04:04 PM   #410
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I think its been a tradition and pattern of the various tv shows and movies pushing Alfred's role bigger and bigger.
Not just his. Lucius Fox was introduced in the '70s as the guy who ran Wayne Enterprises while Bruce was busy being Batman. He was never seen onscreen until B:TAS, where he had an occasional supporting appearance in the same role, a minor ally who had no idea Bruce was Batman. Then Nolan came along and turned Lucius into Batman's Q, and suddenly he had a huge, central role in the saga that he'd never had before. I believe the later seasons of The Batman introduced a version of Lucius that followed Nolan's lead, and the comics have given their version of Lucius an expanded role similar to the movie Lucius.

The Animated Series I believe was the first to introduce that he had a military, British secret agent background.
As I've already pointed out several times, and as Zaku's posted image proves, that was established in the comics no later than the early '80s. But B:TAS was the first screen production to pick up on that established fact from the comics.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Nope, just the opposite. As I keep repeating, turning the butler into an action hero is pandering. Let the butler be the butler.
And you keep being wrong by insisting on such a black-and-white, absolutist distinction, that it has to be one or the other and can't be a mix of both. You've been told over and over again that the comics' Alfred has a military background and has often been shown to be a capable fighter when he needs to be. That is a fact, and your insistence on denying it is inexplicable.

Plus, it's been clearly stated by the producers of the show that Alfred is not "an action hero" here; he is Sean Connery in The Untouchables. He is someone who used to be an action hero but now has to adjust to being too old for that role. Glen Murakami even insisted that Alfred's role in the action be reduced from what was initially planned. These facts have been explained to you, yet you insist on ignoring it and clinging to your preconceptions even after they've been proven wrong. I don't understand such willful denial of the facts.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote