View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Mario de Monti
Re: A question regarding "Patterns of Force"

Metryq wrote: View Post
First of all, don't see stats where they don't exist. Not everyone on the forum replied to that thread. So you can't assume that only you and Robert are in agreement over the line from "Patterns of Force."
I am well aware of that and was merely referring to the people that had posted replies in the other thread.

Also, don't see ethnic slurs where none exist. Not all Germans were Nazis, and not all Nazis were German.
That is also not in question. But Spock said "You should make a very convincing Nazi", not "You should make a very convincing German". Being German is a question of ethnicity, being a Nazi is a question of (political) conviction, a decision that is consciously being made.

Likewise, the pre-Civil War American south was not the only time and place in history to have slavery.
It was merely an example that I thought Americans could maybe relate to more easily than, say, slavery in ancient Rome.

Like I said when starting this thread, my main question is if (we) Germans have more of a problem with Spockīs line than non-Germans - thatīs all!

"Do you give me attitude, Spock?" - "Iīm expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously, Sir. To which are you referring?"
Mario de Monti is offline   Reply With Quote