View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 04:34 AM   #33
Warped9
Admiral

Re: why is star trek original series disliked

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
One could make a case for "The Trouble With Tribbles," "A Peice Of The Action" and "I, Mudd" deliberately veering into camp, particularly the latter two episodes. But two or three episodes deliberately humourous episodes out of seventy-nine does not make the series predominantly camp as a whole.
People seem to use the word "camp" a lot and I'm not sure I understand how they mean it. Traditionally it meant an exaggerated and conscious theatricality or outrageousness, and especially that which referred to or hinted at gay culture.

The episodes mentioned above were just comedy, or at least comedic, episodes. It was quite common at the time for dramatic or action shows to have occasional comedic episodes. Gunsmoke had them, as did The Big Valley, Wild Wild West, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and so on. Bonanza was practically half comedy in its later seasons.
In "A Piece Of The Action" the Iotians as 1920's gangsters were a spoof, an exaggeration of a stereotype perpetuated in 1930's films. And in "I, Mudd" we see the androids act in an exaggerated manner of how such things might be seen in B movie sci-fi. And note that in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" and "Requiem For Methuselah" androids are not depicted in such an exaggerated way.