View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 02:29 AM   #12
marksound
Fleet Captain

Re: 40 and Over Club Meeting

scotpens wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
One of my favorite movies of all time, and was hell to find on DVD: Zorro, The Gay Blade. Starring George Hamilton, it was much funnier than Love At First Bite but as I remember didn't do well at the box office. It's all but disappeared from the market.
Is Zorro, the Gay Blade considered "politically incorrect" now? Why would that be? It's a very funny movie.
I don't know. I think it's hilarious, but I'm sure the easily offended might take exception. All I know for sure is that it was very hard to find when I was looking for a copy. But it's in my regular rotation, and I can pretty much quote all the dialog as it plays.

The funniest lines in the movie?
"Where is your invitation, Senor Beaver?"
"To be your friend I would have to be more than clumsy, I would have to be stupid!"
"Here I am!"
"NECK! NECK! NECK!"

(Little-known fact: Story-wise, Zorro, the Gay Blade is a reworking of the David F. Friedman sexploitation flick The Erotic Adventures of Zorro -- only without the naked stuff.
I did not know that.

Can you even find Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn in a library these days? I loved those books growing up.
Both of those books are in public domain and the complete text of them can be easily found online. Huckleberry Finn as assigned reading in schools remains controversial, mainly because of "that word."
It's sad that people have become so sensitive to a single word that great literature is controversial. In the books it isn't even in a derogatory tone, but in the context of the time it was written.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote