View Single Post
Old July 19 2013, 02:26 AM   #25
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: So did Worf's Change of Heart cost him command of the Enterprise?

Dream wrote: View Post
There probably wasn't enough time to transfer the families onto a space station or a planet. The Borg were rushing to Earth in BoBW, and the Starfleet was gathering everything they could for a final defensive at Wolf 359. I think it's understandable what happened.
And given the Borg's propensity for obliterating anything in their path, who's to say leaving civilians on a planet would have kept them safe? Starfleet probably figured the safest place to be was aboard a vessel that could outrun any pursuers.

Dream wrote:
I think when the Starfleet DID have time and they know they will be going into battle, they have the families transferred someplace safe like the U.S.S Odyssey moving its families onto DS9 during the fight with the first battle with the Dominion. I imagine families were no long on the Starfleet ships during the Dominion War.
Agreed, though the Jem'Hadar had no problem attacking non-military targets. Moving families to another location was better than having them in the middle of a war zone, but it wasn't a guarantee of safety.

--Sran