View Single Post
Old July 18 2013, 10:25 PM   #18
dub
Fleet Captain

Re: Alexander Siddig Interview: He reveals anger over changes to Bashi

davejames wrote: View Post
It was a cool idea and Siddig did an excellent job with the episode, but I can definitely understand his frustration. It pretty much reveals that Bashir was putting on an "act" for the first half of the series, and pretending to be someone he wasn't in front of his own friends.

I mean, are we seriously supposed to believe he never once confided in O'Brien about this family secret? Or Dax, who he liked and confided in about all kinds of other things? Especially for something that didn't seem all that shameful.
Genetic enhancement is illegal in the Federation, so he had good reason to keep quiet about it, even to his closest friends (who also happened to be in Starfleet). While you and I might not consider it particularly shameful, it's something that hurt Bashir deeply going back to his childhood. I think he kept quiet about it also because he was trying to forget about the whole thing. I don't think he was putting on an act as much as he was simply in denial about it. He wanted to be treated as a normal human being, so that's how he handled himself. He had moved on, and here he was forced to face it again which is the last thing he wanted to do. That was what I took away from it.

Although still, in terms of false story notes, I don't think this comes close to the Odo/Kira romance. That is one I just didn't buy for a second.
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one as well and I know there are strong feelings on both sides of this one. This built up for a long time, so it didn't really come out of nowhere. Odo had clearly fallen in love with Kira early on. After getting involved with several men who were her "type," Kira finally decided to go down this road with Odo, and it turned out to be a lovely thing for both of them. It was one of Star Trek's more beautiful romances (to me), hence my avatar.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote