View Single Post
Old July 18 2013, 10:22 PM   #30
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: Confess your dumbness

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I've given up on figuring out "effect" versus "affect." Which is an embarrassing brain glitch for a writer.
It's not that difficult, really. Just remember that if it's a verb, it's probably "affect." If it's a noun, it's almost certainly "effect."

The exceptions to that general rule -- well, that's what Google is for.

Jiangnan Freak wrote: View Post
i still don't know how to shave properly. There is always some left that stands out.
Are you talking about your face?

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
When I was in college, I took a literature independent study with 2 or 3 other people. I wasn't paying attention and my professor said something about a "shim" meaning a literary term (still don't know what it is though).
I always thought a shim was a thin piece of metal or wood that you put between a thing and another thing, to adjust spacing or level or whatever.

I kind of like the idea of making it a gender-neutral pronoun, though.

Third Nacelle wrote: View Post
When I watch the financial/economic portion of the news, I only understand about 10% of what is being reported. I really have no idea how money works.
I hear you. When it comes to anything more complicated than my checking account, I'm an economic illiterate.
I like wine, but I really don't know anything about it (other than it tastes grapey with boozy undertones).
I like a glass of wine with dinner every now and then, but I couldn't tell you the difference between a Cabernet Sauvignon and cabbage juice.
I never have any idea what's going on with most sports. If I'm watching a game at someone's house, I just act excited when everybody else does.
The only sport I can follow is baseball. Everything else is just a bunch of guys running around chasing a ball or a puck or something.