View Single Post
Old July 18 2013, 03:41 PM   #1903
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The superior race in The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion are clearly the Elves.
Who are white.
To accuse them of racism for not bending the knee to political correctness and making sure they represent all races as having an arbitrarily equal amount of goodies and baddies is absurd.
When you choose to represent the non-white races as villains, that has obvious implications.
A huge chunk of the audience are only aware of The Lord of the Rings through Peter Jackson's adaptations. As far as I'm aware, nobody has complained that he didn't include token black characters (Who would likely have to be paragons of good otherwise it's racist?).
Uh, in fact, there's been quite a bit of discussion of the ways in which the LOTR films handle (or don't handle) race.

Regarding the Emmy nominations, Dinklage is a perennial nominee, so I'm not surprised he got nominated over Coster-Waldau (the show isn't quite popular enough yet to furnish multiple nominees per category).

Rigg got nominated, which was expected. I think she has a pretty good shot at winning that category.

Clarke getting nominated surprised me, since she didn't have a lot of "emotional" material this year, but she had some very memorable scenes. I know a lot of people wished Fairley would get in, but she had almost literally one scene of significance this year, and that's not enough to be a first-time Emmy nominee.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote