Re: The Ashes 2013

Changes :
AUS :
Harris for Starc
Khawaja for Cowan

ENG :
Bresnan for Finn

Toss : ENG who will bat.

I really like the selection of Harris for Australia. For England fans who may not have seen him, he is a very, very good bowler, who I think would have been our Dale Steyn if knee injuries hadn't ruined his career. There is no coincidence that he is rushed back into the baggy green every time he is fit - he is that good, but the danger, of course, is that he breaks down.

I thought Jackson Bird was a bit unlucky not to get the nod for Lords, but three changes would have been a bit much, and it would be a bit dispiriting to drop Agar after he nearly won us a test with the bat at Trent Bridge.

My heart goes out to Ed Cowan, my personal favourite Aussie cricketer, but he looked terrible in the first test, and a lone hundred in 18 tests is probably not good enough. Barring injuries, it looks as though his international career is over - what a long, depressing tour it will be for him. I will miss his thoughtful interviews and opinions. He played to the absolute maximum of his ability in his shortish career - well done, Ed.

Not a surprising change for England to drop Finn, who went to pieces on the last day at Trent Bridge, and appeared to lose the confidence of his captain. Interesting Bresnan has come in. Word is he has lost a yard of pace. Interesting selection.

I think Australia's bowlers will do well here. Big test ahead for Root and Bairstow, who may not enjoy Harris too much based on what I saw in the last test.

Unfortunately the pitch looks very dry, and batsman friendly. This is such a big morning in the series. If England get 500 on the board first up, I think they Ashes are probably gone - a massive day ahead.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote