View Single Post
Old July 18 2013, 01:28 AM   #388
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Regardless of wether this post gets replies, I feel the need to explain some of the things I posted.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Then why use the license if you're not going to take advantage of it? Make your own superhero cartoon free of licenses if you hate the character and his villains.
Again, that's a ridiculous straw man. Of course they don't "hate" any of that. They love Batman; they just want to try something new with him. Just like B:TAS did -- presenting Batman in a way he'd never been seen onscreen before, featuring many villains and allies who'd never, ever been seen onscreen before, and making big stars out of third-rate joke villains like Clayface and Mr. Freeze. If we'd been posting on Usenet or whatever in 1992, the week after the series premiered, you'd probably be telling me how much Bruce Timm and Eric Radomski must hate Batman.

One more time: Before B:TAS, no one outside the comics audience had ever seen Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul, Talia, Killer Croc, the Ventriloquist, Rupert Thorne, etc. The pilot episode of the series featured Man-Bat, of all characters.

That was B:TAS, not Beware the Batman. B:TAS was special, it had a whole team of awesome people working on it. BTB has a few guys who did some ok stuff at one point. Unless Bruce Timm or Paul Dini are secretly working on it until false identities, what B:TAS did means nothing to this show. I know B:TAS made stars out of less popular villains, I'm not saying it can't be done (although I was not very clear on that in my posts). What I'm saying is that BTB can't do it. If you were to tell me people Timm or Dini were working on an episode of Batman about Pyg or Magpie or Mr. Toad, I'd be excited to see what they do. I'm sure they could make these lame villains awesome.

In the end, this is not B:TAS. It doesn't have the crew or writers who worked on that show and made it great (the big people from the show is what I'm talking about, even if someone who was a storyboard artist on the show at one point or something is working on BTB). B:TAS established, to me, what is normal for Batman. BTB has thrown that out. Its not that the third rate, obscure villains used by BTB can't be good, its that they probably can't be good in the enviroment of BTB.

The guy with the loyal butler (who has no fighting skills)
Wrong. We've thoroughly established that the comics' Alfred Pennyworth is a combat veteran and retired intelligence officer and field medic. You've had that pointed out to you enough to know that, so you're not just ignorant now, you're intentionally lying.
I'm not lying. Alfred has no fighting skills in comics set in the present day. He's a man in his 60s or 70s who uses a shotgun to defend himself. He may have been a good fighter at one point, probably when Bruce was young, but I'd say 30 years (atleast) of not being an active combatant plus advanced age have probably left him with no fighting skills.

Sometimes having a lesser known character is ok (you don't want to use the big guns every week) but you should be seeing characters like Joker, Mr. Freze, Poison Ivy, Penguin, Man-Bat, Clayface, The ventriloquist, etc.
Three of which had never been seen on television prior to B:TAS, and at least two of which were minor, third-rate villains before B:TAS made them interesting. You're contradicting yourself.
B:TAS did make some of them interesting (which I knew), but like I said before, BTB is not B:TAS. Any villain could probably be made interesting, but I don't think the BTB people can do it. Take people who were instrumental in B:TAS, give them a Batman show with a premise like B:TAS and not like Beware the Anti-Batman, and even Ten Eyed Man could be cool. But this show has nothing going for it that makes me think it can make any villain popular that wasn't already.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
In short, if you want Alfred to be some doddering old weakling useless for anything but housework, then you don't know a thing about Alfred.
And there's the crux of it right there. If Alfred isn't Action Man, with muscles and military experience and other macho credentials to impress the kids, then he's a useless and doddering old weakling. It's possible to write Alfred the butler as an interesting and useful character-- it's just not desirable.

This is what I'm talking about with Alfred. He can be cool and not be an action hero.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote