View Single Post
Old July 17 2013, 01:51 AM   #1859
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
You could argue that Martin's use of an ancient society like the Roman Empire as his working material for the Eastern metropolis of Meereen, as opposed to the 15th century references of the War of the Roses for Westeros implies a bit of historical superiority - in general Western readers at least might perceive a culture 500 years removed from us as more advanced than a culture 2000 years removed from us, even if both are direct antecedents of our present day culture.
Largely correct, though I'd add that the influences on Essos aren't all drawn from pre-Medieval areas. The Free Cities are clearly the Italian city-states from the same period (Braavos is Venice, most obviously). The rest largely are. The Dothraki are the Mongols (and also the Plains Indians, from what Martin has said); Valyria is a high fantasy land that heavily parallels the old Roman Empire; the Slaver's Bay city-states are analogous to Egypt/the Near East (Old Ghis being Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote