View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 06:40 PM   #1844
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

See, I have no problem with changes, just changes for change's sake, especially when it is done badly. I actually think it is pretty clever that they tied Gendry into Stannis's story by having him take Edric's place. It helps to unify the story and keeps a cast member around a bit longer, giving the character a bit more development. On the other hand, Robb's story is mangled beyond recognition and his wife's replacement character doesn't begin to make up for it. Meanwhile, Dany's story in Qarth was mostly a matter of execution and there is no reason they couldn't have told that same plot in a way that didn't just feel like filler. Unfortunately, the Gendry as Edric change is one of the few that actually benefits the adaptation rather than feeling like the writers just wanting to leave their mark on the story.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote