View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 03:20 PM   #1833
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
As for her "using brown people as guinea pigs" - the whole series suffers from a healthy dose of Orientalist racism. That's more an issue with Martin than any of his characters.
Quite. I'd wish the show would find a way to fix the Meereenese knot of Martin's fantastical racism, but mostly they've hewed fairly closely to a lot of the dumbest ideas in the books (like the Unsullied).
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
To those purists who strongly adhere to the written word and claim that the show is a worthless bastardization of the original, I say, "Don't be a Languatron!"
Yeah this is the most faithful book-to-TV-series* adaption I've ever seen. You could argue it should be more faithful or whatever, but it's far more typical that TV series will take a general direction from a book and some character points and then just re-purpose the entire thing. This is likely what HBO will do with American Gods (since it's to continue for more than one season and also they've said they will), it's also what HBO did in True Blood, what Showtime did with Dexter, and so on.

GoT has been remarkably close to the subject matter and done a spectacular job at translating the nuances of the novels, the enormous cast and the complicated plotting to deliver basically the best genre show on TV since Battlestar Galactica went off the air. It's not perfect, and it's made some non-perfect calls, but it's a damn sight better than it could have been and it is on its own rights a good show.

*The only relatively faithful book-to-TV-show tend to be miniseries, or otherwise limited run programs. GoT's projected seven-or-more years is hardly that.