View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 02:41 PM   #53
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: I'd Pay to See Kathryn Bigelow Direct Wonder Woman - Would You?

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I love superheroes and I'm bored out of my mind with them now because they're getting pretty repetitive. Didn't see Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man 2 or 3, watched X-Men First Class during a free Epix preview on instant streaming.... I only went to see MoS because the controversy over it caught my interest and am still wishing I'd skipped Dark Knight Rises.
You've got my sympathies on having sat through MOS and TDKR, but, given that you've skipped seeing four of the best superhero movies of recent years in theaters, I've kinda gotta call into question your superhero love.

any action adventure pictures pushed the way studios push superhero movies are going to make money. Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds made money. But I don't think too many people are going to claim it was a particularly intersting sci fi film.
That was a movie with strong title recognition, directed by the world's most successful director, and featuring the world's biggest movie star - hardly your average actioner. And big studio pushes didn't exactly help The Lone Ranger, White House Down, Battleship, Speed Racer, Robin Hood, or a number of other non-superhero movies from recent years.

This "we won't make a female superhero a tentpole movie" is bullshit in the midst of The Hunger Games furor - I mean, really, come on guys, who do you think you're foolin'?
I haven't seen or read any Hunger Games, but isn't the whole point of the story that Katniss isn't a superhero, but rather a more or less ordinary girl (albeit with mad archery skills) forced into a situation that makes her famous? That's a very long ways off from your standard Harry Potter/Luke Skywalker/Clark Kent learning he's magically powerful, and even farther from a princess and daughter of Zeus born and raised on a mythical island unknown to the rest of humanity. Or do you actually think Hunger Games would have been just as big a hit if Katniss could easily beat up a dozen guys at once?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote