View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 01:59 PM   #1831
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I actually left the forum during the first season because it turned into a circlejerk over the TV show. I think you'd manage just fine. Elio and I talked once about how strange it was to suddenly be an outsider in our favorite fandom. It has been a while, so I don't know how the forums look anymore.
Personally I really enjoy the first and third seasons, despite them being unfaithful and pretty dumb. I think they get the overall summary of events kinda right, while being a largely entertaining show in of itself. The second season is a mess though, and I'm not big on it. Despite uh, having an avatar from its first episode.

My favourite novel all-time is most certainly Frank Herbert's Dune, and I can enjoy the David Lynch movie a great, great deal. Despite it obviously being a terrible representation of the story that lacks all the thematic depth. My favourite author is Robert A Heinlein. I vastly enjoy the Starship Troopers film, despite it having utterly nothing to do with the novel beyond a few surface elements. In fact, it clumsily makes fun of the author's right-wing politics and could almost be seen as a spoof.

I don't mind unfaithfulness in adaptations as much as some. But Game of Thrones irritates me as most people are too thick to read, so take it as the canonical series of events. In fact, if I bring up why I prefer the books online, I'm told to shut up because most people don't care about books. It reminds me of the classic Bill Hicks line.

"Well, well, well.. looks like we got ourselves a reader!"

Last edited by DalekJim; July 16 2013 at 02:11 PM.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote