View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 01:41 PM   #111
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

mr.peany wrote: View Post
So just saw it. I loved it. A visual spectacle and one I was totally immersed in from beginning to end. Stunning is a word that came to mind. The story, although simple, was effective enough to get the job done.

Pros: CGI was out of this world.
The creature design was amazing.
Despite the run of the mill plot it created characters that I genuinely cared for.
The action was involving and to me, easy enough to follow.

Cons: The accents. Boy, wtf?? Those aussie accents were atrocities. Surely, they could have found 2 actual Australians to be cast in those roles. Everyone in our theatre either groaned or laughed when they spoke.
The 2 scientists. Quite possibly the most pain inducing characters I've had to endure in any movie. Ever. Worse than Jar Jar. I had to close my eyes and block my ears whenever they appeared. Makes me wonder how no one picked up on this before the movie was released.
Charlie Hunnam's body. I don't have it.

A solid B+. Points deducted for the accents and the scientists.
I thought the two scientists were just the right kind of comic relief. Burn Gorman, in particular, was hilarious. I enjoyed this movie completely: it had jaw-dropping robot-on-monster action that I could actually see, enough meat behind the Miko-Ralleigh relationship to be believable and a world that felt real enough to forgive the ridiculous conceit of 100-foot mechas.

I came for the action, but the story and people inhabiting this movie weren't half bad. I'll definitely find this movie again for a re-watch when it's out on video.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote