View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 05:17 AM   #166
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Why The Hate For Superman Returns?

davejames wrote: View Post
The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
I used to be very big on the Byrne version of things, but I've come to see its flaws. Something that I thought SR got right, completely against Byrne's take on things, was the idea of Superman thinking of himself as an alien. I'd never liked how that idea was portrayed in the Silver/Bronze Age comics, but I've come to think that Byrne went too far to the opposite extreme, to the point of being overly simplistic in making Clark such a perfect, idyllic individual.
Agreed. I thought MOS struck a nice balance with a Clark who feels like an outsider, but doesn't really see himself as "alien" either. He's conflicted about what he is, which is exactly what you would expect from someone growing up with all these crazy ass powers.

The Byrne Clark always seemed a little too perfect and happy and well-adjusted to me.
I don't see this as an either or though. The Byrne Superman was an outsider but had supportive parents.

I think it is best to look at young Clark as an adolescent who feels different in some way. Either the kid who is too tall, or too smart, or the kid who has autism. He is a teenager who knows he is different but is still trying to find his way in the world.

The new movie did this quite well I thought. Leave out the super powers and it is a story about a young man trying to find his place in the world.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote