View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 05:13 AM   #165
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: Why The Hate For Superman Returns?

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I prefer the Kents being alive but I was raised on the 90s cartoon and then the 90s comics...
Well, I was raised on seventies comics when his parents were dead. Byrne's decision to bring back Superman's parents was one of the best things about his reboot. I agree that having his parents alive really shows the humanity of the character.

Even back in the seventies and early eighties, the Superboy books did a great job of showing this relationship. There was one arc in Action Comics when Pa Kent came back to life and got to see his boy as Superman. It may be trite by today's standards but it was and still is one of my favorite Superman stories.

I think the reboot made a serious mistake by taking Superman's parents away. For a moment I was hoping that they would come back when we found out that they had actually been killed by the 5D villain (not going to try to spell his name, although it is arguable they were actually killed by Mxy based on the epilogue to Morrison's arc).

Some of the best moments in the new 52 Superman have been the flashbacks to the Kents. I loved the story when Supes travels back in time to meet his dad again.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote