View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Avro Arrow
Fleet Captain

Re: If they reimagine The Savage Curtain in the ongoing

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Tamerlane was "evil?"
I stipulate that a) history isn't my strong suit, and b) perhaps Wikipedia isn't the best resource for this type of thing. But I was curious, based on your question. From his Wikipedia article:

Wikipedia wrote:
Timur's armies were feared throughout Asia, Africa, and Europe. sizable parts of which were laid to ruin by his campaigns. Scholars estimate that his military campaigns caused the deaths of 17 million people, amounting to about 5% of the world population, leading to a predominantly barbaric legacy.
Wikipedia wrote:
Timur invaded Syria, sacked Aleppo and captured Damascus after defeating the Mamluk army. The city's inhabitants were massacred, except for the artisans, who were deported to Samarkand.
Wikipedia wrote:
He invaded Baghdad in June 1401. After the capture of the city, 20,000 of its citizens were massacred. Timur ordered that every soldier should return with at least two severed human heads to show him.
Wikipedia wrote:
While Central Asia blossomed under his reign, other places such as Baghdad, Damascus, Delhi and other Arab, Georgian, Persian and Indian cities were sacked and destroyed and their populations massacred.
So maybe not "evil", depending on your definition, but he certainly doesn't seem like he'd be up for any "good neighbour" awards.

I stand by to be corrected by those who know more about history than I, however.
Avro Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote