View Single Post
Old July 16 2013, 01:32 AM   #49
JD
Admiral

Re: I'd Pay to See Kathryn Bigelow Direct Wonder Woman - Would You?

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Well, I must not agree. In the past three years, we've had X-Men: First Class, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and Iron Man 3 - all first-rate flicks. Sure, there've been some disappointments also (Green Lantern, TDKR, MOS), but, financially speaking, only GL was a box-office failure. I can easily rattle off more would-be top-tier non-superhero flops: Cowboys and Aliens, John Carter, Battleship, White House Down, Lone Ranger... There may come a time to say that the superhero genre (to the extent that it even is a genre) needs fresh blood, but from both creative and business perspectives, now is not at all that time.
I don't think she was saying from a business perspective superheroes need a change, but from a creative perspective, yeah. I love superheroes and I'm bored out of my mind with them now because they're getting pretty repetitive. Didn't see Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man 2 or 3, watched X-Men First Class during a free Epix preview on instant streaming and am pretty sure I'm not going to bother on the new Wolverine, even if it does feature Hugh Jackman half naked. I only went to see MoS because the controversy over it caught my interest and am still wishing I'd skipped Dark Knight Rises. The genre really may have topped out on Avengers. Which isn't to say there won't be any interesting superhero movies made ever again, but chances are we're going to see a lot more of the same until it all peters out in favor of some new fashion.

Indeed, what's really remarkable is the fact that there's not one high-profile, A-list-fueled rom-com on the docket all year... but something tells me this Susan Wloszczyna won't soon be writing a piece on how male voices ought to swoop in and rescue that flailing genre.
Rom com is a perenniel genre, not a momentary ascendency subgenre of action pictures like superhero movies are. As for not one high-profile, A-list fueled rom-coms this year, um??

Admission - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd
The Host - Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, William Hurt
The Big Wedding - DeNiro, Keaton, Katherine Heigel
About Time - Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy
The Best Man 2 - Taye Diggs, Terrence Howard, Nia Long
The Third Person - Liam Neeson, Mila Kunis, James Franco, Olivia Wilde
Are We Officially Dating - Zac Ephron, Imogen Poots
The Last Drop - Justin Timberlake
Can a Song Save Your Life? - Keira Knightly, Mark Ruffalo, Adam Levine
The Host was a rom-com?