View Single Post
Old July 15 2013, 11:45 PM   #353
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: "Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Eh, Alfred was a butler. A gentleman's gentleman. I don't see why they can't just let characters be themselves without turning them into action heroes.
You're not listening. In the comics, Alfred Pennyworth was and is a former British intelligence agent and combat medic who later became an actor and then eventually became the Waynes' butler. This is canon. He's not just a butler, but has many hidden skills that are of invaluable aid to a crimefighter. This has been an established part of the character's history in the comics for at least three decades (as far as I can track down). What we're seeing in this show is arguably less revisionist than what we've seen in earlier shows and films that ignored Alfred's intelligence background.
No, I'm not listening; I'm reading. I know all the stuff you keep repeating. My point is that not every character has to prove themselves by being a macho action hero. Let Alfred be a butler. It's like putting Troi in a uniform and making her a part of the bridge crew. She's supposed to be a counselor. Let her be what she is. It's not a fresh take, it's not exploring other aspects of a character, it's not being creative-- it's compromising the identity of the character and homogenizing the cast.

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Eh, Alfred was a butler. A gentleman's gentleman. I don't see why they can't just let characters be themselves without turning them into action heroes. It's like having Willy Lumpkin played by Hulk Hogan or Aunt May played by Sybil Danning.
I guess you haven't seen the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.
Er, no. And I probably don't want to.